Available properties

One-Stop For All of Your Property Needs

Owner Frequently Asked Questions

Our service is designed to assist landlords in finding reliable tenants for their rental properties. With the assistance of our experienced agents who have 25 years of industry knowledge, we can provide a hassle-free experience that will help ensure that your property is rented to trustworthy and responsible individuals. Our service includes comprehensive tenant screening, lease preparation, and ongoing support throughout the rental process. We strive to make the process as efficient and stress-free as possible for our clients, and our team of professionals are always available to answer any questions or concerns you may have. With our service, you can rest assured that your rental property is in good hands.

What is considered a long term rental?

Per the Delaware Landlord Tenant Code a Long Term Rental is a rental for a term of more than 120 Days.  The majority of our rentals are for at least 12 months.

How do you advertise available rentals?

Wilgus Associates, Inc will advertise properties on our website, local papers and Zillow.

What criteria do you use to screen tenants?

Each adult that will be residing in the house will need to fill out a rental application and pay a fee of $50.  Wilgus Associates, Inc will do a credit check, require proof of income and do a rental reference if applicable.  Our credit reporting software will also screen for criminal activity, evictions and sex offender status.

How will you handle maintenance and repairs?

Upon notification from your tenants that there is a maintenance issue, we will contact you to notify and coordinate the repair with your specified vendor.  Wilgus Associates, Inc does have a maintenance staff on hand that can assist in repairs and we also work with many local vendors for HVAC, Plumbing, Electric, etc.  Wilgus Associates, Inc will deduct invoice cost from the monthly rent check.

How often do you do walkthrough inspections?

Walkthrough Inspections are performed annually at lease renewal or at the owner’s request.  48 hour notice does need to be given to the tenant for walkthrough inspections.

What happens if the tenant stops paying rent and eviction is necessary?

Wilgus Associates, Inc. will send a late notice to tenants that have not paid their rent by the 10th of the month.  This notice gives the tenant 5 business days to pay the rent.  If the rent still is not paid, Wilgus Associates, Inc will file the appropriate paperwork with JP Court for possession of the property and attend the court appearance on your behalf. 

How are utilities transferred?

The tenants are required to transfer the utilities into their name prior to the start of the lease and will not receive keys unless the utilities are transferred.  The Sussex County Sewer bill is a utility bill that does not get transferred into the tenant’s name but the owner can be reimbursed by the tenant by forwarding Wilgus Associates, Inc the bills upon their receipt.  Some towns have their own water/sewer bills that stay in the owner’s name.  Tenants can be responsible for paying these directly to the town or reimburse the owner.  At lease termination, the owner is responsible for transferring the utilities back into their name.

How much security deposit can I hold?

Per the Delaware Landlord Tenant Code, we can hold a security deposit equal to one month’s rent.  If the unit is furnished or if you are willing to accept a pet, we can charge an additional security deposit unless the pet qualifies under section 5514 of the Delaware Landlord Tenant Code or if it meets the criteria for an emotional support animal.

What happens if the tenant stops paying rent and eviction is necessary?

As the homeowner, you are responsible to have the unit and carpets professionally cleaned along with making sure the home is prepared for the next tenant.  The tenant that is leaving is only responsible to leave the property “broom swept” when they vacate

These are just a few of the many questions Landlords may have.  If you have additional questions, it is best to consult your Listing Agreement, Delaware Landlord Tenant Code or speak with a legal professional.

Skip to content